Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Deafening Sin of Adam

I exist. How else could I think? But all these thoughts seem to only find illusion after illusion, like running but not moving. If I stay here, I am left to myself, and that would be a sort of hell. I find it perpetually interesting that I see in Catholic morality a holistic remedy to and prevention of loneliness. Pride sees only itself and is therefore content, for lack of a better word, with "I exist." But I think hard-wired into every person is a desire for more than this. Seems obvious, but we don't act like it, as demonstrated by every act of sin. One of the greatest examples today is abortion aka the human race's identity crisis. Tonight when you lay in bed, pause for a moment, take a deep breath, and in the stillness of the moment give attention to your chest and the heart within it that beats blood to that thought facilitating organ you are using right now. Count the beats in a minute and you will have counted the amount of babies killed in that same minute. Like Adam and Eve tempted with a chance to be like God, among many things we are taking it upon ourselves to redefine the person to something more suitable for the times. The old definition of "a living human being" has been abated. Lust, immodesty, and contraception are some of the many selfish actions sustaining this social psychosis. Yet these are the actions many of us young Christians give a passing laugh to when trivialized in the media. Somewhere deeper past that thinking organ of ours is an awareness that all these worldy idealogies stop at "I exist." This same awareness is what perks its ears when we hear the echoes of grace. Grace, as St. Augustine writes, which calls, shouts, and breaks through our deafness; flashes, shines, and dispells our blindness to see our true existence, our true identity so that we may see His.

1 comments:

Andi said...

You're header is so fascinating. I keep running my mouse through it and Lisa is laughing at me.